Thursday, April 14, 2016

Racism in Real Estate - What's the Deal Vancouver?


I had a really interesting conversation yesterday which brought up some of my own opinions and feelings.

Obviously Vancouver is changing. But it's pretty disappointing when you hear insulting and negative comments about the Chinese buying up all the real estate.

I'm sorry, but how many people do you know that have Chinese last names who are born in Canada?

How many Chinese friends do you have that are 3rd/4th generation but still have Chinese last names. The statistics don't look at that. They just look at the buyer's last name, and they make a generalization about that.

For example, my friend's last name is Chow, purchased a house, both owners were born in Canada.

I expect more from people than to just believe anything they hear.

I think you need to look at more than just the last name of the buyer. Come on now.

And even if that was the case, what's the big deal? Our communities have been changing for decades. If you look back to the 50s and 60s, do you think our communities looked anything like how they look now?

I say embrace it, make the best of it, and love the beautiful city that Vancouver currently is, and that Vancouver is becoming.

But hey, maybe I'm being too optimistic.










No comments:

Post a Comment