Monday, June 11, 2012

Addicted to Yoga

I'm pretty sure everyone has tried yoga at some point in their lives. Whether you practice Bikram's Yoga, Power Yoga, Vinyasa Yoga, or your own practice, you have to be careful. Recently I have been experiencing really bad pain in my wrist and forearm. This is a cautionary tale...

I practice Yoga at the YMCA in Downtown Vancouver about 5-6 times/week. They offer a wide variety of yoga and I can usually make their evening classes. I like to think that I have pretty good form and I focus my attention on breathing and balance.

For the past week I started noticing a dull achy pain in my wrist. I usually just shake out my hand and the pain goes away. But it got progressively worse. I have pain all day long, from my wrist, outer forearm, and sometimes in my thumb. I take 600mg of Ibuprofen which helps but in no way is it a cure. I thought maybe it was my poor ergonomics when I type on my laptop. So I have been keeping my wrist elevated instead of laying it against the keyboard.




Still no change. Pain is getting worse.

Last night at Yoga there was a substitute instructor and she mentioned something that caught my attention.  During downward dog she said "make sure you don't put pressure on your outer hand...this can lead to tendinitis in your wrist and it will cause you a lot of pain." Throughout the class I couldn't get what she said out of my head...do I have tendinitis because of yoga?




So after class I went up and talked to her. Yes. It's true. I had been placing my hands wrong during downward dog/side plank etc and it created too much pressure on this one little bone on the outside of my hand. Since I do so much yoga it didn't take long do develop this. The good thing is that it's not permanent but I definitely have to be careful from now on.

In this photo you can tell that there is a lot of pressure on the outer edge of her hands. She needs to rotate her arms inward. 


You know I always hear "you have to have good form". I guess unless you do an activity on a regular basis, you won't develop an injury so quickly. I'm happy that this happened to me now because I can attribute it to yoga. If it had developed later on in life I would just probably think, "oh it's just normal aches and pains."

No comments:

Post a Comment